Rattan Kinds for Furniture
There are many types of rattan in the world. Obviously there is kind of rattan is suitable for furniture and there is no match at all. Here are the names of the rattan that is suitable for making furniture and furnishings.
Stem is the most widely used to make furniture. Stems are used have characteristics with diameters above 20 mm, the low level of flexibility compared to other rattan material. The bending process is done by heating the rattan with fire or water vapor. This stems of rattan raw materials comes from a wide variety of plant species of rattan are included in the category of large rattan like, Cl, semambu, mano, and are often found in the market is Mandola (Sulawesi). Stem Rattan based on the way the process consists of 4 types of rattan stem, namely:
Rattan stems random, natural: At rattan there are outer skin has a texture like bamboo or cane
• Rattan stems semi poles: Rattan stems partly peeled outer skin, approximately 30-40 percent
• Rattan trunk poles: Rattan trunk entire outer skin peeled so that only the inside are lagging
• Rattan stem sizing: Rattan trunk entire outer skin peeled so that only the inside are left behind and have a fixed diameter end to end for example 20 mm, commonly used for rattan furniture knock down
Pietriet is material or inner core of the rattan plant, shaped like a stick with a length of up to 6 meters. Typically used for weaving, such as for the manufacture baskets. Pietriet derived from plants small rattan such as sega, camp, jawit, and some of the rattan rod-like cl, stomach and Ambulu, which has taken the outer skin so that only a part of the (core) soft, flexible, and have coarse fibers with a layer like a sponge (foam). Pietriet divided in different sizes, including:
• 2-3 mm
• 3-4 mm
• 4-5 mm
Based on the types of rattan, pietriet have the nature and characteristics, namely:
• Pietriet Sega: smooth surface texture, brittle when dry, after being soaked in water will change color to slightly reddish, light as a reed
• Pietriet Kubu: Texture less delicate, brittle or easily broken, if immersed in water in a little time will change color to bluish, light as a reed
• Pietriet Cl: coarse texture is not good, tough and easy to break, especially when used to make a winding, rough brown color, heavier. Pietriet This is a low-quality pietriet
• Pietriet Coat: Texture less smooth, tough and not easily broken, do not change color when soaked in water, heavy and strong. Pietriet is suitable for plaiting
Core is part of rattan derived from plants small rattan such as sega, camp, jawit and some types of rattan rod-like cl and symbols kuilt outer peel with a knife-edged particular, leaving only the inside (core) shaped cross-section of circular diameters ranging from 9 to 20 mm. Core is highly flexible and easily bent without the use of tools, easy to absorb color and lighter than the cane stalks. Typically used for decoration materials in rattan furniture
- Lasio or pheel
Rattan material is leather that comes from the outside of a small rattan skin. Nature which have bending properties when soaked in water, can not absorb the color, easily broken if bend sharply but very powerful if pulled.
- Sannded Pheel
A material derived from the core rattan that slice thinly resemble lasio but because it is made from rattan core material is easy to absorb color, and has a characteristic feature of the same material pietrit.